The Ouya is an upcoming game console built on the Android mobile OS. Julie Uhrman (CEO of Boxer8) founded the project. She brought in designer Yves Béhar to collaborate on the design of the project, and Muffi Ghadiali as product manager. The console is slated for release in March 2013. Boxer8 is expected to provide their own OUYA store for apps and games:
OUYA is a new game console for the TV, powered by Android. We've packed this little box full of power. Developers will have access to OUYA's open design so they can produce their games for the living room, taking advantage of everything the TV has to offer.
Hardware specifications (2012 prototype):
- Nvidia Tegra 3 (T33) quad-core ARM processor
- 1 GB RAM
- 8 GB of internal flash storage
- HDMI connection to the TV (with support for up to 1080p HD)
- WiFi (802.11 b/g/n)
- Bluetooth LE 4.0
- Ethernet port
- 1 USB 2.0 port
- Wireless controller sporting two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button, and 3" touchpad
- Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" (modified version)
The physical dimensions of the OUYA console are expected to be around the size of a Rubik's cube.